The Certificate in Functional Screening and Resistance Training is a QQI Level 6 (30 credit) qualification. We consider this the entry point to becoming a qualified Strength and Conditioning coach with the next course starting June 1st.
Consisting of three key modules, the qualification will prepare the coach for work with individual athletes, players and team sports. These are highly practical modules and provide up to date methods and approaches for those interested in becoming Strength and Conditioning coaches.
The programme is designed to produce coaches capable of assisting in the administration, devising and supervision of screening and resistance training programmes across a range of disciplines and sports.
The course duration is nine months and student intakes occur at four stages throughout the year, during the first week in March, June, September and December.
Students will study one module at a time, each lasting three months. The three modules you will complete in this course are:
- Functional Screening
- Resistance Training 1
- Resistance Training 2
Strength and Conditioning is becoming globally recognised as a professional pathway in the sports and general wellness industries. Our programmes cover a broad range of topics such as functional screening, coaching skills, fundamental movement and fitness testing with a key emphasis on sports technology. Students are introduced to and get to use the latest technology whilst attending workshops at our SportsLab.
We are also applying S & C and Performance Science methodologies and research into much broader fields such as general wellbeing. For example we work with the Army, Fire Brigade and Police Force to develop methodologies and bespoke programmes to improve the health and wellbeing of their staff. These new developments will create a much greater marketplace within which our students can contribute and gain employment.
Setanta College is recognised as a world-leading educator in Strength and Conditioning for the following reasons:
- Our programmes are recognised by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (30,000 members), World Rugby (35,000 registered on our partnership programmes) and Titleist Performance Institute.
Padraig Harrington is our brand ambassador and has been implementing the philosophies and skills of Dr Liam Hennessy for 20 years. Padraig highly recommends Setanta College for knowledge and skills in Performance Science and Strength and Conditioning.
- Dr Liam Hennessy and a global network of Strength and Conditioning practitioners have agreed the key elements which inform a world class Strength and Conditioning educational programme.
- Each programme module is updated every 18 months with new developments and current thinking and research.
- Setanta College students get to use the latest technology in sport because of our partnerships with StatSports, Daniel Cohen at ForceDecks and Orreco as well as our state of the are 3D Marker Less Motion Capture System.
- Our practical application workshops are conducted at a €4 million specially designed Strength and Conditioning SportsLab.
- Setanta College lecturers are qualified to MSc or PhD level and are former high level sports people, active coaches or both.
All modules of this course are delivered part-time via blended or distance learning.
Weekly lectures will be delivered through our virtual learning environment and are completed entirely online. The practical face-to-face elements of the course are delivered on campus once every 4 – 5 weeks.
Student knowledge is examined using continuous assessment comprising of online questionnaires and essay-style project work.
The course has been designed to accommodate the working professional and will fit in a flexible manner into your daily schedule.
On successful completion of this course the graduate will have completed three key modules allowing them to create and manage unique exercise programmes for teams, individuals or athletes. These modules are:
- Functional Screening
- Resistance Training
- Advanced Resistance Training
As a result graduates will:
- Display a specialised knowledge of functional screening and resistance training.
- Display key concepts supported by theoretical frameworks and models.
- Exhibit a range of practical skills that are consistent with best practice in the area of functional screening and resistance training.
- Formulate exercise and training programmes based on sound scientific principles.
- Act in a range of varied and specific contexts involving routine activities.
- Conduct a needs analysis for an individual or group and devise an appropriate response.
- Assess own learning and identify needs within a structured learning environment.
- Express an internalised personal view and awareness of the social, ethical and legal issues within a support role within strength and conditioning.
This course prepares graduates to become competent at functional screening and prescribing and supervising corrective strategies. The graduate will also be prepared to implement and supervise resistance training and weightlifting to sport programmes. Past graduates have gone on to use this certificate in amateur and professional teams throughout the country , along with those who up-skill for their own fitness business.
Graduates also have the opportunity to progress on to higher-level qualifications with Setanta College where we offer a range of Professional Development Courses up to our industry led Professional Masters in Performance Science.
Setanta College has appointed a world renowned advisory board to inform and oversee our programmes and research strategy. This board, comprising of professors and practitioners from around the world, keep Setanta College at the cutting edge of Performance Science, Technology and Strength and Conditioning.
Our lecturers are qualified to MSc or PhD level and are former high level sports people, active coaches or both. We have a team of international specialists who lecture on both our online and full time programmes.
- Applicants must be 18 years or older on the 1st of January on the year of admission. Applications for all our undergraduate programmes must meet the minimum entry requirements for the college. A minimum of two C3’s in higher level subjects and four D3’s in ordinary level subjects (to include English & Maths) in the Leaving Certificate or equivalent, is required. All applicants may be subject to interview.
- If you are over 23 years of age you may apply as a mature student. Mature student applications are assessed on the basis of age, coaching/playing experience, general education standard, motivation and commitment to the programme for which they are applying.
- Minimum admission requirements for graduates of QQI/FETAC Level 5 awards (former NCVA Level 2 or 3) is a full QQI/FETAC award in a course in a cognate area with a distinction grade in at least three modules.
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.0 or equivalent is required for non-native English speakers.
All students are required to pay before commencing a module. Students can also pay for multiple modules upfront and avail of a discount.
The application process has 3 parts:
1. Choose your course
2. Complete the application form
3. Make payment for your chosen course