This course provides an overview of Strand 1 of the new Leaving Certificate Physical Education programme. It aims to provide the teacher with a broad understanding of the four topics that are included in Strand 1.
It primarily deals with general examples across various physical activity areas but draws on examples from specific sporting contexts to illustrate certain points. Each topic will be examined in detail and by the end of the course it is intended that teachers will have the necessary confidence and knowledge to apply the content of Strand 1 within their own classroom setting.
At the end of this course the learner will be able to:
- Display a broad understanding of the topics covered in Strand 1.
- Display a clear knowledge of how to undertake physical fitness assessment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to plan and implement a weights program.
- Display an understanding of how to use ICT in analysis of performance.
Course Duration: 5 Weeks
Topics: The course aims to provide an overview of each topic within Strand 1 and includes the following topics:
- Learning and improving skill and technique
- Physical and psychological demands of performance
- Structures, strategies, roles, and conventions
- Planning for optimum performance
Accreditation: This programme is accredited by Setanta College, leading experts in youth physical performance
Course Start Date: This course will commence in January with the exact start date to be finalised in the coming weeks
Delivery Method: This course is delivered via blended learning, with weekly lectures delivered through our interactive online classroom accompanied by 2 face-to-face workshops.
This course is aimed primarily at:
- Teachers tasked with the delivery of the new LCPE curriculum
- Teachers aiming to adequately prepare for the integration of PE as a Leaving Cert subject at their school
- School management and administrators who will be overseeing the delivery of the new LCPE programme
Programme Cost: €250