This course provides a broad understanding of the key areas of nutrition in exercise and sport.
It deals primarily with general principles but draws on examples from various sports to illustrate how the nutritional goals of athletes and players in training and competition can be attained and describe the dietary strategies that can be employed to meet those goals.
It examines in detail energy cost as well as energy balance requirement and covers important topics such as how to: reduce or gain weight effectively, increase muscle mass, achieve a balanced and nutritious diet for all participants including the young athlete, the female athlete and the travelling athlete. It will also address the topical area of supplements in sports.
By the end of the course the learner will:
- Display a broad understanding of the importance of energy and nutrition in sport
- Be aware of his/her limitations with regard to their role in providing basic nutritional guidance and identification of deficiencies
- Display a clear knowledge on the methods of assessing athlete’s nutritional needs
- Provide and formulate an evidence based opinion on the use of ergogenic aids in sport
Course Duration: 12 Weeks
Approval & Recognition: This course is approved by Setanta College and recognised by professional and industry leaders.
NFQ Level: N/A
Course Start Date: This course has an open start date with optional practical workshops to be scheduled when campuses reopen.
Delivery Method: This course is delivered via blended learning, with a weekly lecture delivered through our interactive online classroom accompanied by 2 face-to-face Saturday workshops on campus in Thurles.
This course is primarily aimed at:
- Sports Coaches
- Fitness Professionals
- Strength & Conditioning Coaches
- Rehabilitation Professionals
- Athletes and Sportspeople
- Anyone interested in personal fitness
€220 €165/month for 3 months