This programme has been developed to facilitate the learning of working professionals as well as recent graduates who wish to gain experience while they study. The old graduate school model of suspending your life for a period of 12-24 months is no longer feasible in a world of disruption and fast-paced innovation. This programme is delivered in a flexible fashion over 18-24 months with weekly lectures delivered online and fitting flexibly into your current life commitments. The practical and applied nature of this programme includes a number of very exciting and engaging face-to-face workshops twice during your period of study. These take place every 6 months on campus and are unlike any lecture environment you will have experienced before. Each workshop is delivered over a 5-day period with practical skills and applied knowledge taught by the elite lecturing faculty alongside a number of highly-reputable guest lecturers from the world of sport and exercise psychology.
Delivery Method Video Sample
Click to Play
Final Project and Assessment
You will submit a final project following the completion of the five online modules. During the online element you will receive guidance and mentoring from a tutor who will assist you in the selection of a final project.
Upon completion of the MSc in Applied Sport and Exercise Psychology, students will be able to demonstrate knowledge, skills, and competencies in the following areas:
- The ability to critically evaluate the current knowledge, theory, and evidence base relevant to the discipline of sport and exercise psychology.
- To develop the advanced knowledge skills and capabilities required for effective sport and exercise psychology practice.
- To evaluate sport and exercise psychology’s role in the broader discipline of sport and exercise science and to integrate methodologies in an interdisciplinary manner.
- To utilise a range of appropriate practical techniques to enable a range of solutions to psychological challenges.
- To evaluate and apply appropriate research methods applicable to psychological inquiry
- The capacity to apply relevant ethical, legal, and professional practice frameworks and to maintain appropriate professional boundaries.
- To communicate effectively (verbally and non-verbally) with a range of audiences and to disseminate their work in a range of appropriate formats.
- The ability to synthesize information from multiple sources into comprehensive and appropriate support systems.
- To be able to reflect on one’s practice critically and to develop a professional identity
Graduates of this Master of Science in Applied Sport & Exercise Psychology are uniquely positioned for successful careers in a variety of different areas. Graduates will typically pursue employment as psychologists in sport, exercise, performance, or health at professional sporting organisations, NGBs, government-led councils, or in consultancy practices. There is also the doctoral progression options that lead into academia and lecturing/research opportunities. Many other students will operate as mental skills coaches and performance coaches in sport, exercise, and even business settings. Having a knowledge of psychology and how to enhance human performance is an indispensable understanding and can lead graduates to success in many job areas outside of psychology driven career paths.
Our Alumni are highly employable throughout the world. Currently, our graduates are engaged in the following sectors:
- Premiership Football
- European Golf Tour
- PGA Tour (USA)
- AFL Australia
- Australia Rugby Union
- England Rugby Union
- Irish Rugby Football Union
- French Rugby Federation
- NFL (USA)
- World Rugby
- International Sports Teams
Candidates may be accepted onto the programme who hold an undergraduate degree or higher, with preference given to applicants with related subjects such as, but not limited to:
- Health & Fitness
- Sport Science
- Physical Education
- Physiotherapy/Physical Therapy
- Anatomy, Physiology
- Human Biology
- Dance Science, Movement Science
- Athletic Training/Therapy
- Strength & Conditioning
An appropriate professional qualification and at least five years relevant experience
Special Case Registrations: Recognised Prior Learning (RPL) entry will be available for those without a related degree. Individual assessment will apply and applicants will be subject to interview.
English proficiency to be demonstrated through any of the following:
– GCSE pass in English at Grade C or above
– IELTS with an average overall score of 6.5 for postgraduate study with at least a 5.5 in each component TOEFL IBT minimum score of 88 IBT for Postgraduate **
– Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE): exams taken from January 2015 – overall score of 176 for postgraduate study with at least 162 in each component; exams taken before January 2015 – Grade C and no less than borderline in each skill for undergraduate and postgraduate
– Trinity College English Language qualifications: ISE III Pass for postgraduate taught courses and research applications City and Guild’s IESOL/ISESOL tests at expert and mastery levels (C2 and C1) for the majority of postgraduate programs.
– Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) with a minimum of 67 points in each element for the majority of postgraduate programs
Setanta College holds a number of academic accreditations alongside industry recognitions. From a European perspective, Setanta College has programmes that are validated by Quality Qualifications Ireland (QQI), the Irish governmental accrediting agency. QQI programmes are recognised globally under various European and EU initiatives, which offers graduates a significant advantage globally. In North America, Setanta holds provisional State Authorisation to operate as a higher education institution in the USA under approval from the Commission of Independent Education (CIE) of the Florida Department of Education. Also, from a US perspective, this programme is regionally accredited by the Irish American University under their award of accreditation by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE), one of the world’s leading accrediting bodies and the accreditors of a large number of US Ivy League schools.