Free Short Courses at Setanta College
Taking You to The Top of Your Game
Turning the theory of sports science into reality.
Movement Development for the Child
This course will provide you with a basic understanding of the benefits of Physical Activity and the key Fundamental Movement Skills for the child. Delivered fully online and free-of-charge, this short course is ideal for teachers, parents, youth coaches, and those looking to assist in the physical development of children.
After this topic you will be able to:
- Identify the health concerns associated with inactivity
- Recognise and describe the benefits of physical activity
- Select suitable activities to increase physical activity in children
Fundamental Movement Skills
After this topic you will be able to:
- Recognise and describe the importance of FMS for child development
- Describe 4 categories of FMS and their associated movement skills
- Use appropriate coaching techniques to give the child a solid foundation in these movement skills
Setanta Conditioning: A personal guide to fitness and wellbeing
This free, fully online short course is a basic introduction to the concepts of fitness and conditioning for those looking to understand more about training and leading their own fitness routine. The course will provide you with some basic concepts that will aid you with your training, whether your goal is fitness, muscle building, or general health and wellbeing.
There are 5 topics covered throughout this course that will assist you with your health and fitness goals.
- You will be introduced to the basics in Functional Screening, where you will learn to assess the quality of movement and static posture.
- We introduce Resistance Training, where we look at strength development.
- We will describe Endurance Development, where we aim to improve overall cardiovascular health.
- We introduce Nutrition, and how it will assist you in achieving your goals in addition to appropriate training.
- We put it all together with our section on Programme Design, where you will learn how to take all the topics and implement them effectively into your training.
Register now for free and start your studies today.
World Rugby – Conditioning for Rugby
Setanta College has designed and developed the conditioning education pathway for World Rugby which has graduated over 55,000 students to date. A 5 stage pathway open to all with online components delivered free-of-charge, these courses are ideal for anyone looking to increase their knowledge of conditioning and fitness in rugby. This pathway is designed to be accessible to all students whether you are a rugby coach, an S&C coach, a parent, teacher, player, etc. Each online course is supported by an optional face-to-face workshop typically organised by the union of each country/region.
This course is designed to provide beginner strength and conditioning coaches with a basic knowledge and understanding and a foundation of practical skills. This, in turn, will facilitate coaches to prepare players more thoroughly to play Rugby Union.
The Strength and Conditioning Level 1 online course is comprised of six modules covering:
- LTPD Pathway
- Functional Screening
- Anatomical Adaptation
- Game Demands
- Conditioning for Rugby
- Periodisation in Rugby
This course is designed to build on the knowledge, understanding and practical application acquired from the Level 1 online learning course and face-to-face Level 1 course. Its aim is to further prepare strength and conditioning coaches to demonstrate their application of more advanced strength and conditioning techniques during the Level 2 face-to-face course.
The Strength and Conditioning Level 2 online course is comprised of eight modules covering:
- LTAD – a critique
- Demands of the game
- Profile of players
- Functional screening
- Resistance training
- Speed and agility training
- Integrated game conditioning